AWSP supports principal intern candidates and their mentors with a variety of resources.
General Resources (PDF)
Activities to consider: Activities and focus areas for interns and their supervising principals.
Advice from first-year principals: Advice for interns from first-year principals and assistant principals for the internship. Learn what they would have done differently, what they would have done less of, and other pearls of wisdom
Agenda template for meeting with your mentor principal: As you schedule regular meetings with your mentor principal, consider using this meeting agenda template that allows both you and your mentor opportunities to develop the agenda.
Tips for mentoring principal interns: Reviews the roles and responsibilities of principal intern mentors (Source: WSU College of Education)
Sample Letters to Students' Parents
• Sample #1 | Word
• Sample #2 | Word
Principal & Program Administrator Standards-Based Benchmarks
Principal and program administrator candidates’ program requirements, including an internship, are aimed at supporting successful demonstration of the following standards as established by the Professional Educator Standards Board of Washington.
A school or program administrator is an educational leader who has the knowledge, skills, and cultural competence to improve learning and achievement to ensure the success of each student by…
- Standard 1 | Visionary Leadership: Leading the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by school/program and community stakeholders.
- Standard 2 | Instructional Improvement: Leading through advocating, nurturing, and sustaining district/school/program cultures and coherent instructional programs that are conducive to student learning and staff professional growth.
- Standard 3 | Effective Management: Ensuring management of the organization, operations, and resources for a safe, efficient, and effective learning environment.
- Standard 4 | Inclusive Practice: Collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources.
- Standard 5 | Ethical Leadership: Acting with integrity, fairness, and in an ethical manner.
- Standard 6 | Social-Political Context: Understanding, responding to, and influencing the political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.
For more information
| Professional Development & Marketing Coordinator | 800.562.6100