The AWSP Leadership Framework is made up of eight criteria that form the foundation for the evaluation of principals in Washington state.
This page serves as the index for AWSP's Framework Resource Library. Click the criterion links below to access more than 600 surveys, case studies, books, DVDs, interviews, best practices and more. A group of practicing principals, scholars and researchers compiled and vetted the contents.
The Resource Library will be updated as new resources become available. If you have a resource to suggest, send it to David Morrill.
Criterion 1: Creating a Culture
- Element 1.1 Develops and sustains focus on a shared mission and clear vision for improvement of learning and teaching.
- Element 1.2 Engages in essential learning conversations for ongoing improvement.
- Element 1.3 Facilitates collaborative process leading toward continuous improvement.
- Element 1.4 Creates opportunities for shared leadership.
Criterion 2: Ensuring School Safety
- Element 2.1 Provides for physical safety.
- Element 2.2 Provides for social, emotional and intellectual safety.
Criterion 3: Planning with Data
- Element 3.1 Recognizes and seeks out multiple data sources.
- Element 3.2 Analyzes and interprets multiple data sources to inform school-level improvement efforts.
- Element 3.3 Implements data-driven plan for improved teaching and learning.
- Element 3.4 Assists staff to use data to guide, modify and improve classroom teaching and student learning.
- Element 3.5 Provides evidence of student growth that results from the school improvement planning process.
Criterion 4: Aligning Curriculum
- Element 4.1 Assists staff in aligning curricula to state and local district learning goals.
- Element 4.2 Assists staff in aligning best instructional practices to state and district learning goals.
- Element 4.3 Assists staff in aligning assessment practices to best instructional practices.
Criterion 5: Improving Instruction
- Element 5.1 Monitors instruction and assessment practices.
- Element 5.2 Assists staff in developing required student growth plan and identifying valid, reliable sources of evidence of effectiveness.
- Element 5.3 Assists staff in implementing effective instruction and assessment practices.
- Element 5.4 Evaluates staff in effective instruction and assessment practices.
- Element 5.5 Provides evidence of student growth of selected teachers.*
Criterion 6: Managing Resources
- Element 6.1 Managing human resources (assignment, hiring).
- Element 6.2 Managing human resources (ongoing professional development).
- Element 6.3 Managing fiscal resources.
- Element 6.4 Fulfilling legal responsibilities.
Criterion 7: Engaging Communities
- Element 7.1 Communicates with community to promote learning.
- Element 7.2 Partners with families and school community.
Criterion 8: Closing the Gap
- Element 8.1 Identifies barriers to achievement and knows how to close resulting gaps.
- Element 8.2 Demonstrates a commitment to close the achievement gap.
- Element 8.3 Provides evidence of student growth in learning.*