The AWSP President’s Award is given to a person outside the association who has advocated on behalf of principals and the principalship in Washington state. Recipients are chosen by the AWSP Board in consultation with the AWSP executive director. The award is presented at the association's annual conference in June.
Chris Reykdal was born and raised in Snohomish, Washington as the youngest of eight children. He has served as a high school history teacher, local school board member, state legislator, and budget and policy executive for our state’s community and technical college system. Chris has dedicated his entire career to public education, and he is currently serving in his first term as the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Chris and his wife, Kim, live in historic Tumwater with their two children, Carter and Kennedy.
On occasion, we honor individuals and groups who have achieved extraordinary results during a school year with the AWSP Special Recognition Award.
In 2013, AWSP honored a group of practicing principals, university researchers and industry experts who created Version 2.0 of the AWSP Leadership Framework. The AWSP Leadership Framework has been adopted by all the state’s 295 school districts as the framework for the state’s new required principal evaluation system.
Special Recognition Award Recipients:
- Gene Sharratt, Ph.D. | Executive Director, Washington Student Achievement Council
- Glenn Malone, Ed.D. | Exec. Dir. of Assessment, Accountability/School Success, Puyallup SD
- Sally Lancaster, Ed.D. | Principal, Everett High, Everett PS
- Larry Lashway | Formerly a Program Specialist with OSPI Professional Education and Certification
- Chad Lochmiller, Ph.D. | Asst. Professor, College of Education, WSU-Tri-Cities
- Kristen Schroeder | Principal, James Sales Elementary, Franklin Pierce SD
- Nancy Strobel | Principal, Mountain View Elementary, Puyallup SD
- Ailene Baxter, Ed.D. | Principal, Ferrucci Jr. High, Puyallup SD
- Brian Lowney | Principal, Emerald Ridge High School, Puyallup SD