The 2019-20 Grant Application is now available.
Have questions regarding the application process or are a current grant recipient?
Looking for tips on completing your intern grant application?
View a sample of the scoring rubrics.
The Washington State Education Leadership Intern Program Grant
Established in 1993, the Washington State Education Leadership Intern Program Grant is designed to provide rigorous, authentic and quality training experiences for interns. It also provides funds for partial release for those participating in administrative preparation programs that have been approved by the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB).
- December 3, 2018 | 2019-20 Grant Application Available
- March 15, 2019 | Grant Application Due to AWSP
- April 16, 2019 | Grant Application Screening
- May 23, 2019 | Applicant Notifications
The Intern Grant program provides substitute cost reimbursements for the release of administrator intern candidates from their teaching positions in order to engage in on-the-job training with a mentor administrator. Districts are reimbursed for days of release time at a daily substitute rate of $107. The number of days varies annually. Principal intern candidates are required to complete 540 hours of training, half of which must be when students and staff are present during the regular school day.
PESB-Approved Principal Preparation Programs
- Central Washington University
- City University of Seattle
- Eastern Washington University
- Gonzaga University
- Heritage University
- Pacific Lutheran University
- Seattle Pacific University
- Seattle University
- Saint Martin's University
- University of Washington (Bothell)
- University of Washington Danforth (Seattle)
- University of Washington (Tacoma)
- Washington State University (Spokane/Pullman, Tri-Cities and Vancouver)
- Western Washington University
- WGU Washington
- Whitworth University
Intern Advisory Committee
The Intern Advisory Committee meets twice a year to review and approve:
- Policy standards/guidelines
- Application packet
- Required training activities
- Year-end program assessment
- Program costs
The committee is comprised of practicing building/district administrators and representatives from AWSP, OSPI, WASA and higher education.
For More Information
Macy Bruhy | Professional Learning & Intern Support | (800) 562-6100